How I make kombucha tea
The big deal:
Who knew that kombucha tea contains glucosamines which are both a natural treatment and preventive for all forms of arthritis? Kombucha tea also promotes liver detoxification and reduces pancreatic load for natural cancer treatment.
President Reagan even drank Kombucha to help halt the spread of his cancer in 1987 and went on to live another 17 years.
Because kombucha is a fermented wonder-drink, it brings improved digestion, fights candida overgrowth, and brings mental clarity and mood stability. It even reduces and helps eliminate the symptoms of fibromyalgia! Drink it every day and within one week you should notice increased energy levels that come with the influx of healthy antioxidants and improved immune function.
Kombucha benefits have been long studied and proven throughout Europe but, of course, grossly ignored by Western main-stream medicine.
How I make my own kombucha tea
You can always buy some kombucha at the local health food store, but how about making your own healthy powerhouse for about $1 a gallon? That’s what I do.
- I already have a scoby to reuse from the last batch of kombucha I made (scoby is the pancake-looking growth that floats in the tea while brewing – I bought my scoby online for about $5).
- I make about a gallon of black tea/green tea/decaf green tea/chamomile or whatever flavor I am dreaming of that week by taking the equivalent of about 8 teabags, heat in water, steep and strain, just like normal tea.
- Then I add one generous cup of organic cane sugar, stir it in and cool the whole concoction to 90 degrees or lower.
- Now I pour the tea into a gallon jar – leaving 2-3 cups of room in the jar.
- For the next part, I take about 2 cups of my last kombucha brew along with the scoby and add them to the gallon jar of tea.
- Second the the last I do is cover the jar with a thin cloth or coffee filter held in place by a rubber-band so the brew can breathe but be protected from dust and the random fruit fly.
- Finally, I simply push the new batch to a secluded place on my kitchen counter and in about 7 or 8 days, VIOLA! Kombucha heaven.
Read more: Why take probiotics?
- Liver health 50 ways to love your liver! (Well, more or less…) Lecture notes from 3/25/12
- Fungus Among Us: How to tell if you have a fungal overgrowth and what to do about it
- Depression: The SAD State of America on Antidepressants
- Eating: Emotional Eating “The battle for the brain”: How eating affects emotions and vice versa.